Monday, June 2, 2008

US Visa Experience

I had my US visa interview at Chennai recently...

Almost every friend who had managed to secure a student visa had told me that the experience would be a pleasant one. I must admit that this was indeed the case! (To a large extent at least). However, during my slot, I saw a fair number of rejections for the F-1 visa (30% would be my guess). Though taken aback by what I saw, I managed to retain my poise. Following was my interview experience...


VO: How long with Nokia?
Me: 2.5 years


VO: 60k USD...crazy or what!
Me: Unfortunately yes...but I hope the experience would be worth it.

VO: Do your parents think you are worth all this money?
Me (Slightly agitated): I think I am worth it. My parents have no say with this. I think I am quite competent to take choices in life. I sincerely want to do my MBA.

VO: You think you are worth it....hmm....
(Looks at GMAT, Degree Cert...Types something for 1 min...harrowing time for me)

VO: You are all set...Chapel Hill is a nice place and UNC is a good one!

Me: Thanks and Good-Bye.


After the interview, I cannot but re-iterate the importance of the following factors...
- Reputation of the university / school.
- Good test scores.
- Sound reasons to pursue higher education.

3 comments:

School Management Solution said...

I have to say that I was exciting, and then nervous, and then frustrated in the past months.

Unknown said...

Nice blog!!! Good to see such a wonderful blog We offer you complete list of mba colleges in delhi with a++,a+ rankings and Having good placements on Behalf of your academic percentages Like your 10th %,12th % and Graduation % and Entrance Score.
Direct Admission in MBA Colleges Delhi

Unknown said...

Nice blog!!! Get Direct Admission MBA in India as per Academic Profile in Top MBA Colleges in India Without Management Quota seat and Direct admission MBA without Entrance exam in top b schools in india visit www.directadmissionmba.in