Saturday, January 26, 2008

Appraisal-Time

An appraisal of my MBA applications...Howz that for an innovative thought ;)
With nearly 7 complete applications, I thought it was time for an appraisal...
And just like most appraisals, this one does not help much :(

  1. NUS
    • Review: Bad essays. Hurried through em in a bid to get an early interview. The interview call is still awaited :(. Have mentioned quite a few awards that I hope they like in my application.
    • Next: An outside chance of an interview call..considering the record number of Indian/IT/Male applicants.
    • Prediction: 3/10
  2. ISB
    • Review: Pretty average essays, but i ensured that they sounded different and interesting..earned me an interview call..pretty average interview..messed up with my why ISB and which companies responses.
    • Next: Can only wait! Hoping that the "Why ISB" response would not cost me an admit :(
    • Prediction: 4/10
  3. Kelley
    • Review: Above average essays..Still awaiting an interview call.
    • Next: Decent shot at getting an interview call.
    • Prediction: 4/10
  4. Emory
    • Review: The essays were pretty decent. I suppose my why Emory could have been expressed better as part of my goals essay. The interview was pretty average. After the interview, I got a feeling that Emory might not be the best fit for my goals :(
    • Next: Wait..what else! My interviewer has not responded to my E-Mail..dont know what this implies..
    • Prediction: 3/10
  5. UNC
    • Review: My essays could have been so much better. They were too lengthy and unclear. Interview went fine though..I think I could bring out my passion for UNC during the interview.
    • Next: Results next week..Really tense..I suppose the verbose and unclear essays might be my undoing :(
    • Prediction: 3/10
  6. Darden
    • Review: Essays were OK but could have been better.
    • Next: Am in touch with Mr. Sean from Batten. I hope he recognizes my passion for corporate innovation..Can only wait till end of Feb..
    • Prediction: 2/10
  7. Cox
    • Review: Essays were average. Interview was the best till date. Unfortunately I was seen by my interviewer at interviews with Emory/Fox..this might have cast a doubt in her mind :(
    • Next: Hoping to get an early decision. Can go there only if I manage to get a substantial scholarship..
    • Prediction: 4/10

2 comments:

sodu said...

hmmm... what's mainly missing is the confidence in your apps.. i dont see any with an assessment >5.

Here is mine- my analysis revealed that not many foreign students make it past the interview calls in the 1st year of apps itself. In the second year they are better prepared since they have more time to write the essays and do all the school research to map themselves better to the school. So dont worry if this time it dint work out, you definitely stand a better chance next year than u do this year simply because u know more.

Gangurulz said...

I agree with you..The US system of selection is more holistic. Further, writing essays is quite a task for most Indians.

In India, we are used to looking at the score in the entrance test as a primary means of evaluation. While this is imperfect, given the volume of applicants, (200,000 for 1,000 admits) this seems to be the only viable way out.