Sunday, October 7, 2007

A drop in the ocean!

Exactly a month back, September 12th to be precise..i took up the GMAT. Much to my surprise, it was tougher than what i had expected it to be. Let us term it as "gross under-estimation" on my part :(

I landed up with a decent "720". Considering the fact that i had reasonable quality of work-ex, acads and co-curriculars there was reason for me to be fairly confident of making it to a good B-School. I was in for a rude awakening this weekend!

I went along to a MBA-Fair. What did i see there? A few hundred technology folks with absolutely the same profile..700+ GMAT & 2-4 yrs of work-ex. The atmosphere was totally stifling..it was like being with a good number of "CC's" of oneself..i felt like a drop in the ocean..Will my desire for quality business education ever come true??

It struck me there as to why the schools seek diversity..Imagine a class with 70% IT concentration..The discussions will always "#include" terms like "runtime", "default value", "class", "structure", "pointer", "process", "review", "checklist", "quality", "validate"............and the like..quite some learning i must say :P

The challenge now is to market yourself as "diverse" from the typical technology nerd..quite a challenge i must say! Any ideas in this regard? Please free to mail me :)

No comments: